FREE Pattern: Monkey Bar Skirt

Monkey Bar Skirt

Hi everyone, hope you’re having a great summer!  I’ve been wanting to release another free pattern for awhile now to say thank you to all of your support with my pattern shop, Hey June.  I thought a fun, easy, practical, (northern hemisphere) summer-friendly knit pattern would be the perfect way to say thanks!  So here you go – it’s the Monkey Bar Skirt!
(ps: You may also have noticed that we’re not running Skirt Week this year.  Because,  you know, life.  So hopefully this will be a little consolation prize.)

DSC_0058

The Monkey Bar Skirt is a knit skort with an option for either an a-line skirt or a gathered tiered skirt.  The waistband is just a yoga-style double layer of knit, so you don’t even need elastic!  And of course, the best part – it has built in bike shorts, making it very monkey bar friendly:

DSC_0038

My girls live in this style of skirt during the warmer months.  They’re cute, easy to care for (no ironing, holla!), and they can cartwheel to their little hearts’ content with no wardrobe malfunctions.

DSC_0033

The Monkey Bar Skirt is available in sizes 2T – 10.  There’s no size chart included, but it’s meant to align with ready-to-wear sizes from your favorite big box clothing store (ahemTargetahem).  If your girl wears a 6 in retail, a 6 should work here too.  Also, the skirt length is meant to hit mid-thigh.  If you want a longer or shorter skirt, it’s very easy to just extend the lines of the skirt pattern to suit your style.

DSC_0003

This pattern uses about a half yard of 60″ fabric, so it’s a great way to showcase a pretty knit print without using a ton of fabric.  Make one in every color of the rainbow and she’ll be set for summer!  Grab your free copy of the Monkey Bar Skirt now and you’ll be whipping up these little gems within an hour.

DSC_0042

Happy summer!

the fine print: This is a free pattern.  Please keep that in mind before you engage in any customer service requests.  I know many bloggers are gun shy about releasing free patterns because historically there have been a lot of unreasonable requests and rudeness (not from Crafterhours readers, obviously, because you guys are the best.  I can honestly say that I haven’t had a single issue with a free pattern from you guys).  I’m happy to answer any questions you may have, but I can’t offer the same hand-holding that I would for a paid pattern.   I can’t email this pattern to you, I can’t make it in bigger/smaller sizes, and I can’t make a skirt and mail it to you.  I hate to have to put this out there, but I’m hoping it’ll prevent any future disappointment and angst.  Ok, I’m done now – go forth and sew!

Comments

Thanks! I can’t wait to try it out for Ella. I’m thinking this would be perfect in solid, boring khaki, black, or navy for her standard school attire. Need to start working on that school wardrobe very soon!

Thank you so much. This is such great timing because just last week I looked at a skort we have like this and was measuring it to copy it. Now I can just use the pattern. Yay!

3. Michelle E says

Thank you! This is awesome for fun/bright/anythingyouwant summer wear as well as those awesome/boring/mandatory school uniform clothes! The FREE part makes it just thatmuchbetter!!!
    I truly appreciate the time and effort you went into making and sharing this.

Love this thank you! this is one of those things i hesitate to buy a pattern for since its simple enough to figure it out on my own, but I LOVE that you have done it for us!

Thank you so much for releasing this! My 6 year old is OBSESSED with monkey bars, AND skirts, and well.. we got problems. She hates wearing separate shorts underneath. I am totally going to make her one of these!

6. Heather says

This looks awesome!…I’m trying to figure out where to find the time to whip two of these up for my girls before we go on holidays this Friday…but I have so many to do’s getting ready that I don’t know If I can swing it. Is sleep optional? :)

This is perfect. Thank you so much, Adrianna! Will make one or two or more of this as soon as I get my printer back from the loooong journey from the US to Japan…!!! Good luck on yours too…

1st time here, and I must say, I am delighted! My granddaughter starts kindergarten next month, & this darling little skort will be perfect on the playground. Love, love, love the fabrics you used, & the yoga waistband. Thank you!

Thank you so much! I was just thinking about needing a pattern like this last night so this is perfect! As a side note, I bought your Lane Raglan shirt pattern earlier this year and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ve made 3 already with more to come!

10. Alice says

Thanks for offering this pattern. It just may be my “go to” pattern for our Monkey Gal who lives for monkey bars, trees, anything she can climb. Loves to wear skirts 24/7 too! Since we’re in Florida – this will be in the year round wardrobe too. Again, thanks so much.

11. Amy Anson says

With 3 bouncy granddaughters this will come in handy and used often. Thank you sew much for your generosity!

12. Frederica Chakhachiro says

I don’t really sew but this might be the item to get me sewing. Can you email me the pattern?

• says

HI Jen! The triangles are from Girl Charlee…the dots are so old I don’t remember. But I also buy knits from fabric.com, banberry place, fabric fairy, wanderlust fabric, and random stores on etsy. Happy shopping :)

• CassieAZ says

Many thanks for the perfect pattern! Thanks so much for the online fabric store info! The pattern is so cute-I can’t wait to make a few for my GD for kindergarten! Finding great fun fabrics has been the challenge but now I’m set!

So cute — I only wish I’d seen this before my daughter headed off to camp for a week! Thanks so much for sharing your time and talent with your readers. :)

14. lisa says

I need something like that for cycling thru town–a combo bike shorts & skirt. I am a grandma age gal but still need active clothes.

Thank you so much. My 6 year old has a ready to wear skort (skirt and shorts combined) and it is so practical, I was wondering if I could work out how to make her some more, but now you’ve taken all the effort out.

16. Tarah says

I have been looking for a pattern like this for some time now. Thank you for sharing it. However, when I download the file and I go to open it it crashes on me, I’m really bummed.

• Adrianna says

Hi Tarah, make sure you’re opening it with Adobe, not mac preview. Or you can open it with a browser and print from there. Hope that helps!

Trackbacks